Crew from WOU
                        in Tanzania

Team Blog
Day One
Day Two

Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine

Day Ten

Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Day Sixteen

Day Seventeen

Day Eighteen
After Day 18

The Flight

First Full Day
VIllage Bound
A Birthday
Garden Beds
Hot Springs
Back Again

No Electricty
Start Safari

Heading Home
Follow up

O.F.F. Site

Email us

The First Full Day

With every intention of awakening early, I checked my watch in the dark only to discover it was only 4:00AM. A little more sleep won't hurt I thought and lay there quietly until Gail said "It's eight o'clock." I guess that little extra sleep didn't hurt one bit.

Breakfast was spread waiting on the table with about five team members already eating. Cold hard boiled eggs, American-type cold cereals, sausage links, coffee, a thermos of warm milk and hot water for tea, and fresh toasted bread covered the long table.

walkThe college aged team members and Denvy took a morning walk around the dirt road to its end where they spotted several Brahma-type cattle. These cows belonged to the neighbor and were the source of our breakfast milk. At times the dust that up to an inch thick on the road swelled in clouds when when we walked slowly.

Later around the table the team shared the highlights up to this point and wrote on a slip of paper some of the habits and things that they left at home during these two-plus weeks and would take back when they turned home. Some items were the freedom to be individuals, to not have the close friends to confide in and share the joys, family and friends and the moments one would have shared with them, routines around the house such as cleaning and cooking, TV and driving, choice of food, Internet and cell phone connections. And many more.

A van arrived about noon and we headed downtown with eight of us in seats and one in the aisle on a fold-up camp stool. Along the way we commented on the large beautiful Cultural Heritage center and our driver, Joseph, pulled over to give us a quick walk through. Just about every form of imaginable African art was present ranging from giant carving of African animals to small beaded earrings. After a quick look we headed to a mall, which was a type of a strip mall with most of the stores closed as it was Sunday. A bank was open so we exchanged a small amount of money and bought some cases of drinking water.

The continued drive took us past some government buildings including the International Criminal Tribunal on Rwanda, a tower representing the center of Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya, a boarding school and other local government offices. The next stop was a collection of kiosk type shops filled with crafts from villages around the country and very persistent and insistent merchants. Everyone practiced their bargaining and ran out with some souvenirs.

On the way back to the plantation Stephanie cried out, "There's a monkey." The driver stopped and turned around so we could take a look and snap some photos. The monkeys, about a dozen, were in a coffee field. They apparently enjoy the oils in the center of the coffee bean. Four local girls were walking by and they too were photographed. When asked if we could take a photo they made a silly pose until the driver told them to be serious.

Evening passed with free time, journal writing, a meeting to discuss what we would teach regarding health in the village, a meal of soup and bread, a salad and boiled potatoes covered with a cream sauce. By this time it was dark and since the main grid was not providing electricity, mealeveryone headed for bed. The plantation did have a generator for electricity in the main house but not in the outlying buildings where some of us slept. Apparently the lack of electricity has become significantly more serious in the last several months but with no explanation. Electricity is provided by the government through dams and often the given reason for no power is lack of water.

Everyone repacked to lighten the load when we head to the village tomorrow. We felt asleep not knowing if the America women's soccer team won the world cup; the game was in progress at that time.