Crew from WOU
                        in Tanzania

Team Blog
Day One
Day Two

Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine

Day Ten

Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Day Sixteen

Day Seventeen

Day Eighteen
After Day 18

The Flight

First Full Day
VIllage Bound
A Birthday
Garden Beds
Hot Springs
Back Again

No Electricty
Start Safari

Heading Home
Follow up

O.F.F. Site

Email us

And Back Again

Somewhere around two in the morning, a donkey bellowed frantically outside our window followed by highly excited barking from several of the dogs in the courtyard. These sounds continued for several minutes fading into the distance. Moments later peace returned to the neighborhood.

Wake-up call was at seven anticipating an eight o'clockpickup breakfast call and a nine o'clock departure heading for Arusha. Anxiety and anticipation moved through the crowd wondering how the nine of us, twotoyotao drivers, three students returning to school, the cook and two kitchen workers, and two friends, 19 in total, would all fit into the Land Rover and Toyota pickup. The anxiety crescendoed as the bed of the pickup was filled with mattresses to the height of the cab. The answer came as the drivers claimed their throngs with two claiming the bucket seats in front, four squeezed into the middle bench and seven sardined into the two side benches in the back of the Land Rover (14 in total). With three in the front of the pickup, two lay on the mattresses.

When kilimanjarobreakfast was called, the team invited everyone, yes, everyone in the compound, about 25, to form a circle holding hands. A prayer of thanksgiving was offered and the team sang Amazing Grace. Spanish eggs (an omelet with a few vegetables), bread, bread probably deep fried in sunflower oil, a thin pancake fried in sunflower oil, American hot dog type sausages, boiled potatoes and drinks of coffee and tea served as fare for the fourth morning.

Hugs, good-byes, thank-you's (asante sana) and some tears were shared around. The irony of the situation was that almost everyone was traveling with us from Lengasti. The evening before papers were passed among the locals and the visitors to exchange names, phone numbers and email addresses. It was too early to shed tears but the realization that it was the last evening together and that by the same time the next day we would be in separate worlds brought some lumps to the throats.

vast wasteland

After an hour of bouncing around and sliding from side to side, the two vehiclerafiki water caravan stopped in Rafiki to tour the orphanage and particularly the water project. A spigot on beyond the complex of buildings provided water for the school and the community. This water provided by a well built with money, about thirty million shillings, from fundraiser organized by Senator Jackie Winters. Community members paid about 500 shillings (30 US cents) for a bucket (five gallons) of water. Through the savings of not having to buy water and the revenue of selling water the school is able to direct more money forward the children.

Around the corner behind the sleeping quarters for the 18 girls and 18 boys at the school was building that housed brooders for baby chicks, warm pens for young chickens and a larger house with waterers and feeders for 500 chicken. They recently raised and sold the chickens so everything was empty and clean. They were hoping for some funds to start a cycle of raising chickens of varying ages.

In a classroom the kindergartnersrafiki children sang several songs for us. One young child chose Gail as a special companion and leaned on her for apparent security. After the tour a group of older gail and childstudents stood in two rows and sang songs. They morphed into a circle incorporating the team as well. One student stood in the center singing calling into the ring a student who would do a little wiggle of a dance and everyone giggled. Soon Gladness was feeding the names of the Oregonians who each had their chance to stand in the middle and wiggle their hips.

A couple refreshments in the classroom and the group was on a shortcut road to Arusha. A stop at a grocery store for water and ice cream and the team was at the coffee plantation. By this time everyone but the three children had been delivered to their destinations with another rounds of hugs and tears. Our arrival was before the electricity and so the team had a couple hours to rest before supper and the routine start time for electricity. Several ventured through cold showers while others waited until after supper. While the cold showers were short and not thorough, the shower floors showed residue of Lengasti and road dirt.