Crew from WOU
                        in Tanzania

Team Blog
Day One
Day Two

Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine

Day Ten

Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Day Sixteen

Day Seventeen

Day Eighteen
After Day 18

The Flight

First Full Day
VIllage Bound
A Birthday
Garden Beds
Hot Springs
Back Again

No Electricty
Start Safari

Heading Home
Follow up

O.F.F. Site

Email us


Morning starts like a scene from amovie of an Africian safari. Sitting in mt merutwisted twig lawn chairs on the verranda with a cup of coffee brewed from the beans on the plantation. The sun is oozing through the morning cloud cover as birds sing as they fly byand land in the nearby tree across a neatly groomed lawn. The generator in the distance joins the birds in the morning song as well as the purr of a small airplane headed for Ngorongoro or Serengiti. The family dogs come by to be acknowledged and returnto the lawn for a morning self grooming.

This time the reason for the more than an hour late arrival of the vehicle was a flat tire the day before. While our expectations for attending the catholic service were one thing, reality was another. The driver did take us to that church evenox and cart though we thought we were 45 minutes late.We walked into a huge room with five sitting in front. We were told that this was an English service but the reading was not in English and after she did the reading, a choir sang and swayed to a tune familiar to many of us and everyone left and children started coming in. We had missed the service.

We picked up Carolyn and headed to the Cradle of Loveorphanage, an orphanage for infants up to age three sponsored by the Seventh Day Adventist and started by a couple from McMinnville, Oregon. Rebecca, a volunteer from Munich, met us and guided us into a building where the children stood with outreached arms so that by the time the last person was in the door everyone had a child in arms. With forty children it's no surprise that at least one was unhappy and it was a surprise that almost none of them were crying or fussing.

The side tour took us to the nursery were eight under the age of 6 months were being cared for. A large room with clotheslines covered with clean diapers and children's clothing was our next stop. Back in the main room, the children were being fed by the volunteers and the team. It was not apparent to the untrained eye was had been fed, who needed to be fed, what food should go to whom or how much they should get. But somehow it all worked out. Soon some were in their cribs for an afternoon nap and others went to play as they had napped in the morning.

Carolyn invited us to her home where we met her parents, carolynEmmanuel and Elisabeth, and her borther, Noel. A walk around their yard revealed a grove of banana trees, a cow and an extensive garden of vegetables. In their small but very neat and clean house, they served us water, Pepsis and Mountain Dews, a strong favorite of some. a plaque on the wall was translated something like: "Father is the head of the family, mother is the heart and love, children connect the family with love, so let's live in love and peace."

Having become more familiar with the community, we started asking questions about attending a disco and walking the streets for greater emergence into the culture of Arusha. Having laid the groundwork for future possibilies we waited for the possibility. Adve offered her computer and Internet access so that everyone could email their families. Again there was no network electricity.

Pictures will be added later.